Prep. Time: 30-45 mins
Serves: 8 people
Cod Shoulder or Cod Loin-8 oz portions 8ea
Baby Spinach- 4lbs
Bacon, small dice-cooked with reserved fat -1lbs
Tomato Chipotle Jam -1qt
Yellow Cornmeal -4cups
Salt and Pepper -to taste
Olive oil -as needed
Fresh Basil Leaf -8ea
Whole Tomatoes, raw -10ea
*Adobo Sauce (sauce from a can of chipotle) -1teaspoon
Basil, chiffonade (cut into thin strips) -6 large leaves
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Season each fillet generously with salt and pepper on all sides.
3. Roll each fillet in the cornmeal, making sure it coats the whole fillet.
4. Using heavy bottom sauté pan, coat the pan with the olive oil and place on high heat.
5. Once the oil begins to smoke, place the crusted cod in the hot oil and cook. Be sure to flip the cod onto each side till it begins to slightly color and toast.
6. Repeat previous step till all the filets have been seared.
7. Place the filets on a flat cooking sheet pan and put in oven and cook till fish begins to flake or internal temperature is 165 degrees.
8. Remove fish from oven and let it rest.
9. While fish is setting, place large sauté pan on high heat with enough oil to coat pan.
10. Add diced bacon and the reserved fat to hot pan. Sauté for 2 minutes. 11. Add baby spinach, and sauté till spinach is wilted.
12. Adjust seasonings with salt.
1. Remove the core of the tomatoes. Place in boiling salted water for 3 minutes or until the skin of the tomatoes begins to peel away.
2. Place tomatoes in ice water to cool the tomatoes and stop them from cooking any more.
3. Peel and rough chop the tomatoes.
4. Combine sugar, water, tomatoes in a large sauce pot, cook on low heat.
5. Once it begins to simmer add the adobo sauce.
6. Continue to cook on low heat, using a spoon or heavy whisk smash down on the tomatoes to break them down a little.
7. Continue to cook until liquid has evaporated and ingredients begin to thicken like a marmalade or jam.
8. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
9. Remove from pot and allow product to cool.
10. Once it is cooled completely, fold in basil and place in clean container and keep cool till ready to serve.