Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 1 per roll
For the Tempura Batter: Super grade wheat flour, beer, egg, butter
For the Sushi rice: long grain rice, vinegar, sugar, salt
For the Roll: Jumbo shrimp, tuna, avocado, Alaska king crab, Soy Nori (soy paper wrap, Spicy chili sauce, Citrus sauce, BBQ sauce
For the Citrus sauce: Sugar, cornstarch
Orange peel, Lemon peel
Orange juice and lemon juice
Grand Marnier (or other orange liquor)
For the BBQ sauce: Soy sauce, sugar, Mirin (Japanese cooking wine), cornstarch
Prepare the Citrus Sauce
1. Add the following ingredients into a blender:
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Orange peel from one fresh orange
Lemon peel from half lemon
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
2. Blend all ingredients well
Prepare BBQ sauce
1. Heat up a saucepan
2. Add ½ cup water, ½ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup sugar and ½ cup Mirin and bring to boil
3. Add cornstarch (1 teaspoon) and water (2 teaspoon) mixture to the saucepan and stir well until thicken
4. Remove from the heat and let it cool
Prepare Tempura Batter
1. Beat an egg in a bowl.
2. Add 2 cup ice water in the bowl. Be sure to use very cold water.
3. Add 1 cup flour in the bowl and mix lightly.
4. Add 1 teaspoon butter and 1/2 bottle Sapporo beer (about 6 oz).
5. Mix all ingredients in the bowl.
Prepare the shrimp Tempura
1. Heat oil in deep-fryer or large wok to 375 degrees
2. Get a large spoon of Tempura batter and slowly, little by little drop into the deep-fryer and the Tempura batter will turn into Tempura flakes
3. Coat the 1 piece peeled jumbo shrimp with Tempura batter and lay it on a flat Frying Strainer.
4. Put the shrimp on the surface of the fryer and roll in the oil to coat the shrimp with Tempura flakes evenly.
5. Carefully place a few shrimp at a time in the hot oil.
6. Deep fry until golden brown on all sides, about 1 1/2 minutes.
7. Drain the cooked shrimp on paper towels
8. Use strainer to take out all remaining Tempura flakes and leave on the side for later use
Prepare spicy tuna
1. Chop 4 oz tuna finely
2. Mix the chopped tuna with spicy mayo sauce
3. Add some Tempura flakes into the 'spicy tuna' - it will add crunchy texture to the spicy tuna make it test better
Prepare Sushi rice
1. Soaking Japanese rice with ice water for at least 30 minutes before steaming.
2. Steam the rice till it done
3. Put the steamed rice on a flat pan and let it cool down by mixing it with a wooden spoon repeatedly to remove the moisture
4. Prepare Sushi-zu (rice vinegar mix) by mixing rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a sauce pan. Put the pan on low heat and heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool the vinegar mixture.
5. Add Sushi-zu into the already cooled Sushi rice and mixing it well but not to smash the rice with a wooden spoon (do not use a plastic spoon which will interact with the rice vinegar)
Prepare the roll
1. Take a sheet of pink Soy Nori (paper made from soy bean), lay flat on the bamboo mat, take a handful of mixed sushi rice and spread out evenly (do not press)
2. Turn the Soy Nori upside down from the bamboo mat
3. Add spicy Tuna and spread out evenly
4. Place fresh avocado evenly from left to right
5. Add 2 pieces of fresh made warm shrimp Tempura to the center and leave both shrimp tails outside of the Soy Nori (this will make the head and the tail of the dragon)
6. Carefully roll the Soy Nori with bamboo mat and making sure not to break it and close out the Soy Nori and not to leave any ingredients outside the roll
7. Use bamboo mat give the roll a little press but not too hard to keep the Sushi rice for the best taste
8. Take a piece of Alaska King Crab leg and take out the meat and put it into a mixing bowl
9. Add spicy sauce and mix it well
10. Add the mixed Alaska King Crab meat to the top of roll from left to right evenly
11. Cut and place the roll on a plate and decorate it so that it resembles a dragon
12. Add BBQ sauce to the top of the roll
13. Add a bed Citrus sauce to the plate
14. Ready to serve (it is best not to use any soy sauce to preserve the original taste)