Mishpakha: Jewish History of Woonsocket Exhibit
- 42 South Main Street, Woonsocket, 02895
- Blackstone Valley
- May 16, 2023 - August 26, 2023
The Museum of Work & Culture, a division of the Rhode Island Historical Society, is proud to present Mishpakha: Jewish History of Woonsocket, an original exhibition celebrating local narratives of worship, entrepreneurship, and social life in Woonsocket’s Jewish community. The exhibit opens Tuesday, May 16 and will remain in the museum’s changing gallery until Saturday, August 26.
Beginning in the 1860s with the arrival of Woonsocket’s first recorded Jewish resident, the city became a hub for Jewish immigrants in Northern Rhode Island. At its peak, Woonsocket boasted a thriving Jewish population of over 200 families–a tight-knit group that was a crucial thread in the fabric of the bustling textile city.
Mishpakha: Jewish History of Woonsocket provides visitors of all ages opportunities to learn about Jewish culture and traditions. Guests will be invited to ask questions, enjoy a diverse range of Jewish children’s books, participate in Jewish arts and crafts, and respond via words and images to thought-provoking prompts, all while discovering the rich history of this vital community.
The museum is open Tuesday-Friday, 9:30am-4pm and Saturday, 10am-4pm.
- Presented By: Museum of Work and Culture
- Dates: May 16, 2023 - August 26, 2023
- Recurrence: Recurring daily
- Location: Museum of Work and Culture
- Address: 42 South Main Street, Woonsocket, 02895
- Time: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Price: Adults, $8; Seniors (62+)/Veterans and students, $6