First monument to veterans, commemorates "Pierce's Fight," when on March 26, 1676, a party of nine colonial militiamen, under the command of Captain Michael Pierce were pursued by marauding Indians and slaughtered at the site.
The Nine Men's Misery monument in Cumberland is located in a quiet, dark, uninviting place in the woods, near a former monastery that now has been replaced by a public library. The monument—piles of stones cemented together with a cement pillar next to the stone pile, and adorned with a plaque—sits on top of a hill in what was in 1676 a swampy area.
All efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website, however it is subject to change. Information is updated in an ongoing manner in partnership with local tourism offices, individual businesses and organizations and via a direct feed from goprovidence.com, discovernewport.org, southcountyri.com and Yelp.com.
Cumberland Monastery, Diamond Hill Rd., Cumberland, RI 02864