The original wooden lighthouse in Watch Hill, was completed in 1809, with a new one completed in 1856.
A life saving station was added in 1879, with a newer on in 1907-08. The light was automated in 1986 and can be seen for 16 nautical miles.
The lighthouse is closed to the public. The grounds are open during the day, and a museum in the oil house is open limited hours in Summer.
photo credit: Gayle Brouillard
All efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website, however it is subject to change. Information is updated in an ongoing manner in partnership with local tourism offices, individual businesses and organizations and via a direct feed from goprovidence.com, discovernewport.org, southcountyri.com and Yelp.com.
Fall - Spring 2023-2024 RHODE ISLAND DIGITAL VISITOR GUIDE