Whale Rock Lighthouse was built in 1882 to help mariners past a treacherous reef at the entrance to the busy west passage of Narragansett Bay. The lighthouse was a typical cast-iron “sparkplug” type tower on a cylindrical caisson, similar to many built from the early 1870s into the early 1900s. It disappeared in the Hurricane of 1938, leaving the caisson, which is the only part that can still be seen today.
All efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website, however it is subject to change. Information is updated in an ongoing manner in partnership with local tourism offices, individual businesses and organizations and via a direct feed from goprovidence.com, discovernewport.org, southcountyri.com and Yelp.com.