Who's Cooking in Rhode Island
Prep. Time: 1 hour
Ingredients2 1 +1/4 pound live lobsters
for the popover:
2/3 cup milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon all purpose flour
2 1/2 tablespoon Wondra flour
For the sauce:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 medium shallots, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup sherry
1 cup lobster or fish stock
2 tablespoons heavy cream
salt to taste
a few of grinds of Tellicherry black pepper
Directions1. Drop the lobsters into boiling salted water and cook for 7 minutes. Remove from the water and drain. When cool enough to handle, crack the shells and remove the meat. Cut the meat into 1 1/2 inch pieces and drain well.
2. While the lobsters are cooking, prepare the popovers. Whisk together the milk and egg. Combine the salt and both flours. Prepare the popover pan by spraying it with non stick oil.
3. Add the milk mixture to the dry mixture and mix together until just combined. Spoon into the popover pan, filling each cup no more than half full and place the pan into a cold oven. Turn the heat to 375 and cook until browned and puffed, about 25-35 minutes.
4. Prepare the sauce by melting the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the shallot and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until caramelized.
5. Add the tomato paste and continue cooking, stirring, until the tomato paste is caramelized as well.
6. Add the sherry and stock. Whisk to combine. Finish with the cream, salt and pepper and cook the sauce until a light sauce like consistency. Warm the lobster meat in the sauce.
7. To serve, cut a warm popover in half, place cut side up on a plate and spoon the lobster met and sauce into the popover. Serve with a small mesclun salad.