Who's Cooking in Rhode Island
Battered Cod with Truffle Chips and House Slaw
Prep. Time: 1-1.5 Hours
4 each 6 ounces cod filets, thinly sliced
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups Sierra Nevada Ã¢â‚¬Å“Pale AleÃ¢â‚¬Â
Salt and pepper, to taste
House Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Made Slaw:
1 cup Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 cup carrots, shredded
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 ounces rice wine vinegar
Salt and white pepper, to taste
2 cups, mayonnaise
1 lemon, juiced
3 tablespoons capers, chopped
1 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon malt vinegar
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
2 Russet potatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 ounce white truffle oil
Salt, to taste
1. In a medium size mixing bowl combine all ingredients and chill.
1. In a medium size mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients and chill.
1. Bring oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Slowly add in the potato slices a few at a time and allow to brown on both sides evenly. You might have to move them around with a slotted spoon. When the chips are done remove to a paper blotter and allow oil residue to be removed.
2. When all chips are done cooking toss with Salt and a drizzle of the truffle oil. Reserve.
1. Bring oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a medium size mixing bowl combine the all-purpose flour, salt and pepper, and ale and mix well. The batter should not be too thick, it should coat the back of a soup.
3. Lightly dredge the fish filets in the flour and then dip into the beer batter. Completely cover the fish filets with the beer batter. Slowly dip the fish into the batter and swirl lightly until a small crust begins to form on the fish. Release the fish into the oil and allow to cook for 7 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 9 minutes or until golden. Continue this process until all filets are cooked. Remove on to a paper blotter and reserve till plating. Lightly season filets with salt and pepper.
1. On 4 warm plates evenly distribute the Tartar Sauce, House-Made Slaw, Truffled Chips and Fish Filets.
2. Garnish with lemon wedges.