Donated by Alvin Jenks in 1890, the park was built around Dexter's Ledge. In 1676 during King Philips' War, Indian scouts saw the approach of a colonist band from the height. Indians and colonists engaged in Pierce's Fight at a site along the Blackstone River where Pierce Park now stands. In 1904 Cogswell Tower was built atop the ledge due to a bequest by Caroline Cogswell.
All efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website, however it is subject to change. Information is updated in an ongoing manner in partnership with local tourism offices, individual businesses and organizations and via a direct feed from goprovidence.com, discovernewport.org, southcountyri.com and Yelp.com.